UN council to vote on monitors for truce at key Yemen port

Published 12-21-2018

0 Ratings

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The U.N. Security Council called a vote for Friday on a resolution that would authorize the deployment of U.N. monitors to observe the implementation of a cease-fire in Yemen's key port of Hodeida and the withdrawal of rival forces from that area.

The limited cease-fire and pullout, if implemented, could offer a potential breakthrough in the four-year civil war that has brought the Arab world's poorest country to the brink of starvation and created the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

The U.N. envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, has urged rapid deployment of U.N. monitors as "an essential part of the confidence" needed to help implement the Dec. 13 cease-fire agreement between Yemen's government and Houthi Shiite rebels reached in Stockholm, Sweden. The pact also calls for the "phased but rapid mutual withdrawals" of fighters from the port and city of Hodeida as well as two other smaller ports in the province.

The fragile cease-fire which went into effect Dec. 18 has halted months of heavy fighting in Hodeida, whose port handles 70 percent of the food and humanitarian aid imported into Yemen. But the Saudi-led coalition backing the government bombed an air base in the rebel-held capital of Sanaa on Wednesday, and Yemeni officials have reported sporadic artillery and automatic weapons fire.

There had been intense negotiations over the past week on a British-drafted resolution that would authorize the U.N. monitors, including over whether to condemn Iran for supplying weapons to the Houthis - a statement that the U.S. wanted and Russia strongly opposed.

Then, the United States surprised the council by circulating a stripped-down rival resolution Thursday that eliminated all references to Yemen's humanitarian crisis and efforts to find a political solution.

It is exceedingly rare for allies to present rival resolutions to the Security Council.

The British responded by putting their draft in a final form that can be voted on.

The British final text was revised in last-minute negotiations overnight between the United States and the United Kingdom, diplomats said, speaking on condition of anonymity because talks were private.

That revised draft resolution, to be voted on Friday afternoon, is expected to be approved.

It would authorize U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres "to establish and deploy, for an initial period of 30 days ... an advance team to begin monitoring and to support and facilitate the immediate implementation of the Stockholm agreement."

It also endorses the truce agreement, a prisoner exchange agreement, and a "statement of understanding" aimed at reducing fighting in the central city of Taiz.

The draft resolution requests Guterres to submit proposals "as soon as possible before Dec. 31" on how the United Nations will fully support the cease-fire, the redeployment of the rival forces from the Hodeida area and other provisions in the accord.

The conflict in Yemen began with the 2014 takeover of Sanaa by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, who toppled the government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. A Saudi-led coalition allied with Yemen's

It is exceedingly rare for allies to present rival resolutions to the Security Council.

The British responded by putting their draft in a final form that can be voted on.

The British final text was revised in last-minute negotiations overnight between the United States and the United Kingdom, diplomats said, speaking on condition of anonymity because talks were private.

That revised draft resolution, to be voted on Friday afternoon, is expected to be approved.

It would authorize U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres "to establish and deploy, for an initial period of 30 days ... an advance team to begin monitoring and to support and facilitate the immediate implementation of the Stockholm agreement."

It also endorses the truce agreement, a prisoner exchange agreement, and a "statement of understanding" aimed at reducing fighting in the central city of Taiz.

The draft resolution requests Guterres to submit proposals "as soon as possible before Dec. 31" on how the United Nations will fully support the cease-fire, the redeployment of the rival forces from the Hodeida area and other provisions in the accord.

The conflict in Yemen began with the 2014 takeover of Sanaa by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, who toppled the government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. A Saudi-led coalition allied with Yemen's internationally recognized government has been fighting the Houthis since 2015.

Saudi-led airstrikes have hit schools, hospitals and wedding parties and killed thousands of Yemeni civilians. The Houthis have fired long-range missiles into Saudi Arabia and targeted vessels in the Red Sea.

In response to Russia's threatened veto of the resolution if it referred to Iran, the initial British text would have condemned "the supply, from whatever source, of weapons and associated material in contravention of the arms embargo" against the Houthis in 2015.

But that language was dropped in the final text as was a provision condemning Houthi attacks agai

The British final text was revised in last-minute negotiations overnight between the United States and the United Kingdom, diplomats said, speaking on condition of anonymity because talks were private.

That revised draft resolution, to be voted on Friday afternoon, is expected to be approved.

It would authorize U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres "to establish and deploy, for an initial period of 30 days ... an advance team to begin monitoring and to support and facilitate the immediate implementation of the Stockholm agreement."

It also endorses the truce agreement, a prisoner exchange agreement, and a "statement of understanding" aimed at reducing fighting in the central city of Taiz.

The draft resolution requests Guterres to submit proposals "as soon as possible before Dec. 31" on how the United Nations will fully support the cease-fire, the redeployment of the rival forces from the Hodeida area and other provisions in the accord.

The conflict in Yemen began with the 2014 takeover of Sanaa by Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, who toppled the government of Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi. A Saudi-led coalition allied with Yemen's internationally recognized government has been fighting the Houthis since 2015.

Saudi-led airstrikes have hit schools, hospitals and wedding parties and killed thousands of Yemeni civilians. The Houthis have fired long-range missiles into Saudi Arabia and targeted vessels in the Red Sea.

In response to Russia's threatened veto of the resolution if it referred to Iran, the initial British text would have condemned "the supply, from whatever source, of weapons and associated material in contravention of the arms embargo" against the Houthis in 2015.

But that language was dropped in the final text as was a provision condemning Houthi attacks against neighboring countries using ballistic missiles and drones.

The draft resolution to be voted on does address the humanitarian crisis but it dropped a call for "transparent, credible and timely investigations into alleged violations of international humanitarian law."

The draft calls on the Houthis and the government to remove bureaucratic obstacles to the flow into Yemen of commercial and humanitarian supplies, including desperately needed fuel, to ensure the effective operation of ports and the reopening of Sanaa airport, and to protect medical facilities, schools and other civilian buildings.

It also calls on the government, with international support, to strengthen Yemen's collapsed economy, including by improving the functioning of the central bank and paying pensioners and civil servants' salaries.

The draft resolution backs the work of Griffiths, the U.N. envoy, and reaffirms "that the conflict in Yemen can be resolved only through an inclusive political process."

No comments found. Sign up or Login to rate and review content.

Houthi Shiite mourners chant slogans as they attend the funeral of Saleh al-Samad, a senior Houthi official who was killed by a Saudi-led coalition airstrike on April 19, in Sanaa, Yemen, Saturday, April 28, 2018. (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed) - The Associated Press


Homeless children stand on the road from Khoukha to Taiz in Yemen Feb. 12, 2018.(AP Photo/Nariman El-Mofty, File) - The Associated Press


FILE - In this Sept. 27, 2018 file photo, a father gives water to his malnourished daughter at a feeding center in a hospital in Hodeida, Yemen. Officials in Yemen said a cease-fire took effect at midnight Monday, Dec. 18, 2018, in the Red Sea port of Hodeida after intense fighting between government-allied forces and Shiite rebels erupted shortly before the U.N.-brokered truce. Yemen's civil war, in which a Saudi-led coalition is fighting on the government's side against the rebels, has pushed much of the country to the brink of famine. (AP Photo/Hani Mohammed, File) - The Associated Press


A girl pulls water from a well in the home of Ahmed al-Kawkabani, leader of the southern resistance unit in Hodeida, in al-Khoukha, Yemen Feb. 12, 2018. (AP Photo/Nariman El-Mofty) - The Associated Press